Thursday, December 6, 2012

Ancient Rituals and Modern Meaning


Ancient Words
By Lynn DeShazo
Holy words, long preserved for our walk in this world,
They resound with God’s own heart;
Oh, let the ancient words impart.
Words of life, words of hope, give us strength, help us cope;
In this world wher-e’re we roam ancient words will guide us home.
Ancient words ever true, changing me and changing you;
We have come with open heats, oh, let the ancient words impart.
Holy words of our faith handed down to this age,
Came to us through sacrifice; Oh, head the faithful words of Christ.
Holy words, long preserved for our walk in this world,
They resound with God’s own heart;
Oh, let the ancient words impart.
Ancient words ever true, changing me and changing you;
We have come with open heats, oh, let the ancient words impart.

Dear Friends - 

Advent, the time the church prepares for Christ to be born again into the hearts and minds of those who believe, is a special time for me. I love the stories of anticipation, the preparation, and the holiday cheer. I especially love the music and I can't wait to display the nativity scene at home and at the church.
As I begin to think about what this season in the life of the church means to me and how I prepare my heart, mind, and soul for Christ's coming and return, I find myself reflecting on the idea of ritual and tradition. I am looking forward to lighting the Advent candles and hanging the greens because this is how I have always kept time and marked the season. Repeating a tradition, for me, provides deeper meaning and a way to remind myself of the joy of the season.
As a lifelong Presbyterian, I have been shaped and formed by an ancient pattern of worship and keeping time. The Presbyterian Churches that I have been blessed to belong to and worship with have shared much in common--namely the liturgy, hymnody, and rhythm of worship. I personally take great comfort and find deep meaning in the rituals and patterns of worship that I have inherited from my Presbyterian brothers and sisters.
But there are times when I feel like the ancient patterns that provide me with a strong sense of belonging might look completely foreign to those outside of a life of faith. For example, if someone were to show up on Sunday morning for the first time, would they be able to make sense out of the lighting of a candle on the advent wreath or the singing of a hymn about the coming of a Messiah?
I wonder: how do we make meaning in the world today? Or (perhaps a better questions), how do we bring meaning of what we (the church) are about to the world? I suspect it begins with an invitation.
My friends, I would like to invite you to be a part of the life, worship, and ministry of Community Presbyterian Church. What we do, I believe, matters greatly. Meaning grows out of full participation in all that we do.
My hope and prayer is this: that the ancient words and ancient patterns of worship would continue to be made new through the faithful gathering of God's people, especially in this time, this place, this season.
Sincerely - and may God, Emmanual, be with you.
Pastor John

No comments:

Post a Comment