Monday, April 30, 2012

Good Shepherd Sunday

This past Sunday (April 29th, 2012) the liturgical (and lectionary) church celebrated Good Shepherd Sunday. Each year, on the 4th Sunday of Easter, the lectionary texts are the 23rd Psalm and John 10:11-18 (which begins "I am the good shepherd."
I don't know much about sheep (my grandmother's generation are all cattle ranchers in Western Nebraska). But apart from the obvious (that sheep are smelly and not very bright!), I have heard two things that I think are worth knowing.

Sheep really know and trust the one who cares for them. Sheep sleep in a pen - and whenever someone comes into that pen when they are asleep, they awake and panic, with one exception. When the one that cares for them, their good shepherd enters their pen, they will stay asleep. Even sleeping, they know who it is that takes care of them and they sleep peacefully in his presence.

And sheep learn the voice of the one they follow. When sheep were taken to the watering spot, often other flocks of sheep were present. But the shepherds were never worried about their sheep getting mixed up with all the others. The sheep would mix and mingle and drink their fill at the watering hole...and when the shepherd determined that they had their fill, he would give his special whistle. Because the sheep knew that voice, they would follow.

These are wonderful images for us as we consider what it means to be sheep in Jesus' flock. But it also begs the question, what kind of sheep do you wish to be? What kind of flock do you seek to be with?

I don't know about you, but I wish to be the kind of sheep, that knows the voice of my shepherd, and is willing enough to trust in that voice when it calls me and invites me to follow.

In fact, I want to be part of a flock of sheep who are faithful, who listen, and who follow in faith.

And one other thing, I don't think that being comfortable with your shepherd means that you can sleep during my sermon. Because, the thing is, is that I consider myself much more of a sheep that I do a shepherd. It is true that as pastor of Community Presbyterian Church I have a special role and responsibility in the life of the church. But that role flows from my understanding of following the shepherd who leads me and calls me into service.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment