Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Housekeeping

Dear Friends-

I unintentionally gave up blogging for Lent. I didn't really mean to, but as you can see, my last two blog posts are Ash Wednesday...and the Tuesday after Easter.

I'd like to say that it was because I added such a rigorous spiritual discipline and that I was so faithful in my commitment that I didn't have time to blog. But the truth is, I just didn't blog.

Lent was for me a time of spiritual renewal and a time of reflection. I am nearing the end of my ninth month as pastor of Community Presbyterian Church and I continue to be affirmed in my new call. This is a wonderful place to be and I am truly delighted to be serving here. Plainview continues to be a good place for my family and Community Presbyterian Church is a good place for me to continue to grow in God's grace.

Having just lived through my first Lent and Holy Week as a solo pastor (this is my eleventh year in ordained ministry - but my first 10 Easters I was an Associate Pastor -- in Athens, Alabama and in Hastings, Nebraska), I am realizing that I was pretty focused on the events of holy week and making sure that I was prepared for worship on Easter Sunday. Returning to my office this week, I have begun to clear off some piles and re-engage in some things that got pushed aside (like some long-range thinking!), and I feel this wonderful expansion of my spirit and my heart. Easter was wonderful here...but there is much more to come. It's only Tuesday (and I am taking some time off in the next 10 days), but I feel greatly relieved and much renewed for the work to come in the future. For me, all this is constant affirmation and for that I am grateful.

Be blessed-
Pastor John

No comments:

Post a Comment