Monday, January 26, 2015

Follow Me!

Read Mark 1:14-20

“Follow Me.”

This simple invitation is extended to Simon and Andrew and to James and John. The amazing thing is that they do just that – they follow Jesus. They walk away from their fishing nets; they leave their father in the boat; they follow Jesus.

I find this story to be both inspiring and frustrating.

First, inspiring. This story is inspiring because the four disciples mentioned in the text demonstrate incredible faith and obedience. Immediately, they drop what they are doing to respond to the call of Christ. There is no doubt that these disciples are committed entirely to the cause of following Jesus.

And then: frustrating. This story is frustrating because the bar for discipleship has been set so incredibly and unrealistically high. I’m not sure that any of us would leave the comforts of home, work, and family and follow Jesus Christ into such an unknown future.

I suppose I could boast about my own call to serve as pastor of Community Presbyterian Church in Plainview, Minnesota. I could brag that I left behind my family and friends to come to the unknown region of Southeastern Minnesota, that I dropped everything when I heard God call – and followed unquestioningly and with great faith. I could say all that, but it wouldn’t be entirely true.
Although I certainly feel like I am called to be here – serving as pastor of Community Presbyterian Church – my experience of discernment was not immediate. I spoke with the Pastor Search committee on several occasions. I visited Plainview 3 times over the course of 6 months – once to interview, once with my family, and once without telling anyone – to learn the lay of the land. If I was called to come to this place, I wanted to do my homework and make sure that this was a place that my family could and would thrive. (For the record, we are thriving – affirmation of the call process!).

“Follow Me.” 

I think this story in Mark’s gospel is intended to give us an example of how to follow Jesus. But we are not limited to only following Jesus as the disciples did. We are invited to follow Jesus today in distinct, unique and particular ways. How are you going to follow him?

I know some who follow Jesus with their vocation – doing the work that they are called to do to live out their faith, like teachers or health care professionals. I know people who follow Jesus by volunteering and giving themselves to a cause that is bigger than themselves. I know people who follow Jesus by looking for those on the outside, and reaching out with love, making them feel welcomed and invited. I know people who follow Jesus by caring for their aging parents, by listening to friends, by comforting the bereaved, by counselling the lost. There are countless ways in which we can answer the call to follow Jesus Christ today.


How are you going to follow him?

No comments:

Post a Comment