Monday, January 12, 2015

Remember Your Baptism

Read Mark 1:4-11

I have a confession. I can't remember my baptism.

To be fair, I was three months old. Baptized in November, 1974.

Yesterday was "Baptism of the Lord" Sunday in church. Ever since the days of Martin Luther, reformed churches have been encouraging her membership to remember your baptism.

Now, I get the importance of baptism. Hey, I went to seminary - so I can say things like "baptism is a sacrament and a sacrament is an outward sign of an inward grace." And when I do stop and think about it, I can articulate several reasons why baptism is important. But the truth is, I just don't think about baptism all that often.

I am, however, thankful for the opportunity to think about the baptism of Jesus at least once a year. I like to think of it as the story where John the Baptism got his name, after all, if he didn't baptize Jesus we would probably call him "John the locust eater" or "John the beheaded."

There are two things I want to highlight from this reading. First, the words from heaven are deeply personal and profound. God says to Jesus when he is being baptized "This is my son with whom I am well pleased." These words contain some deep and abiding promises about being claimed by God and blessed by God.

The thing that I love about Mark's gospel is that this is one of the first stories about Jesus. Immediately after being baptized, Jesus finds himself in the desert resisting temptation. And then he begins his ministry - healing, casting out, welcoming, and the like.

For Mark's gospel, Jesus' baptism is not an preamble. Rather it is the foundation for all of Jesus ministry. In fact, I think that Jesus is able to say the same thing that God said to him through his ministry - that is that you are a child of God; God is well pleased with you." Every time he heals someone, Jesus is saying that they have worth and value. Every time he casts out a demon, Jesus is saying that they matter to God.

And that's why it is important for us to remember our own baptism (or at least reflect on the meaning of it.) In our baptism, the promise that God made to Jesus is extended onto us. We are God's children. With us God is well pleased.

And these promises enable and empower us to extent the same love, care, and hospitality to those we meet in our daily lives.

So don't forget - God loves you. You are a beloved child of God. And with you, God is well pleased.

And one more thing - as you live into the truth of these words, don't forget to share them with someone you love.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment